U.S. and Taliban Reach a Truce Agreement

A senior U.S. official has announced that the United States has reached a reduction in violence agreement with the Taliban.

 

The agreement is said to take effect “very soon” and could lead to the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.  The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Taliban committed to stoping roadside and suicide bombings as well as rocket attacks.  Should the Taliban honor the “reduction in violence” agreement, both sides would initiate peace negotiations as well as gradually withdrawing U.S. troops.

 

President Donald Trump had previously called off plans of peace negotiations after an attack that killed two Americans.

 

Defense Secretary Esper: US has reached a deal with the Taliban to reduce deadly attacks

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration has reached an initial deal with the Taliban for a reduction in the deadly attacks that have ravaged Afghanistan for years, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters on Friday. “The United States and the Taliban have negotiated a proposal for a seven-day reduction in violence,” said Esper, who is in Germany for an international security conference.