Someone in Texas nearly burned down their home by burning their Christmas tree in their fireplace.
The McKinney Fire Department responded to a call about a structure fire on Saturday. Officials say someone tried to dispose of their Christmas tree in the fireplace, but only the top of the tree was inserted in the firebox. The fire traveled down the tree, causing damage outside of the fireplace. One person was treated for minor smoke inhalation.
This is what happens when you try to burn a Christmas tree in a home fireplace. This is from a fire we responded to this morning. Please dispose of trees properly! #firesafety #christmastrees
In most areas, residents can leave their tree at the curb or drop it off at the local compost facility for disposal.
The City of McKinney is reminding residents to properly dispose of their Christmas trees after a fire damaged a McKinney home on Saturday. According to the McKinney Fire Department, officials responded to a call about a structure fire in the 4400 block of Rancho Del Norte Trail.